CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE
Date Published: 23-04-2020
Victorian Bar School (VBS) through the Department of Education and Training (the Department) is working closely with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Victorian Chief Health Office to monitor and respond to coronavirus (COVID-19). The safety and wellbeing of our community of learners and staff remains our highest priority during this time.
In line with the advice of the Victorian Chief Health Officer, VBS as a registered training organisation (RTO) continues to operate.
Education remains one of the essential reasons that Victorian may leave their premises, and there are a number of courses for which face to face instruction is required. VBS is conducting a small number of classes on campus where necessary, following all of the social distancing directions issued by the Chief Health Officer.
The measures we have taken to support our learners and staff undertaking face-to-face learning are as follows:
- Physical distancing of 1.5m to reduce in-person contact for both learners and staff.
- Enclosed spaces have no more than one person per four square metres of floor space on average and have fewer than 100 persons.
- Providing access to online content remotely and participation in as many other classes as possible by audio-visual link or other remote means.
- Actively encouraging unwell learners and staff to stay at home.
- Encouraging personal hygiene, such as use of hand sanitiser by learners at entry points.
- Implementing a plan to identify learners who have respiratory symptoms or fever and isolating these individuals as quickly as possible.
- Identification of a space that can be used to isolate learners and staff who become sick.
At this stage we do not have any confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19). If there is a confirmed case of coronavirus (COVID-19), DHHS undertakes contact tracing to identify anyone who may have been in contact with the confirmed case. If you are impacted, you will be informed as soon as possible by DHHS or by VBS.
As the situation continues to evolve, we will keep learners and staff informed of the actions we are taking.
Maintaining good health hygiene
Everyone can protect against infections by practising good hand hygiene and respiratory hygiene.
Here are some tips that everyone can follow:
- Cover you mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing with a tissue, or cough into your elbow.
- Dispose of the tissue into a bin and then wash your hands afterwards.
- Wash your hands often, after using the toilet, and before eating.
As the nature of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak evolves and we continue to be more confined to our homes, health and wellbeing should be a priority for all of us. It’s important that we continue to look out for ourselves and each other.
The following organisations have web pages with advice on looking after your mental health:
The following resources are being updated regularly and we recommend that you check them for the latest public information:
- Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Victorian Department of Education and Training (DET)
- Australian Government Department of Health
- Australian Government Department of Home Affairs
If you require further information, please contact VBS on (03) 9654 7277.